Concerns about being detained (sectioned) or treated under the Mental Health Act

If you’re concerned about your care and treatment plan, including what’s been put in place under the Mental Health Act, the following organisations will be able to offer advice on your rights and the support available to you.


Mind provides advice and support for anyone experiencing a mental health problem. The contact details for its legal advice line are available on its website.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can provide independent, confidential advice on a wide range of healthcare issues, including sectioning.

Still not sure?

You can check if we’re the right people to handle your concern via our concerns tool.

Raise my concern with you