In addition to our permanent staff, we work with over 1,000 external associates.
These associates have both medical and non-medical backgrounds. They provide us with support to help us deliver our key functions – we wouldn't be able to fulfil our duties without their expertise.
Associates provide support and assistance to the GMC in a number of ways, for example:
- taking part in panels – such as our Registration and Registrations Appeal panel, and Investigation Committee panel, PLAB panels and our Tests of Competence and Revalidation assessments panel
- joining our quality assurance visits – to check the work of medical schools, deaneries, health authority local offices and education providers
- conducting performance and health assessments – when there are concerns about a doctor’s ability to practise safely due to performance or ill-health
- examining candidates taking the objective structured clinical examination as part of the PLAB part 2 test, or helping to develop our assessment material
- giving advice – to support our regulatory functions.
We also support the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) to appoint tribunal members, tribunal chairs or legally qualified chairs and legal assessors. Find out more about supporting the MPTS as an associate.
Interested in becoming an associate?
To get an update when we're looking for new associates to support our work, email firstname.lastname@example.org.