Our role and the Medical Act 1983
Our role is to protect patients and improve medical education and practice across the UK.
As part of this role, we:
- decide which doctors are qualified to work in the UK
- oversee UK medical education and training
- set the standards doctors need to follow throughout their careers
- where necessary, take action to prevent a doctor from putting the safety of patients, or the public's confidence in doctors, at risk..
Medical Act 1983
Our mandate is set out from the.
The Act covers:
- our statutory purpose
- governance of the GMC (including how our members are appointed)
- our responsibilities in relation to the medical education, registration and revalidation of doctors; and for giving guidance to doctors on matters of professional conduct, performance and ethics.