Translating documents that aren't in English

What do I need to provide?

For every document that is not in English, you must provide a copy in the original language and a complete and accurate English translation.

All translations must include the contact details of the translation service or translator. This should be attached to the translation, and your documents must be stamped and signed by the translation service.

Who can translate my documents?

We strongly advise your translations are done by:  

  • court or council appointed translators or
  • reputable commercial translation services. 

Before you use any commercial translation service, you should check that:

  • it has a generally recognised professional accreditation or
  • it has a membership with a relevant professional or trade association.

In the UK, professional associations of translators include:

All three provide online directories of their members which you may find helpful.