Access advice, support or advocacy to help you raise your concern

Raising a concern or seeking advice and support can sometimes feel overwhelming. Thankfully there are organisations available that can help to support you through the process.

I want support when raising a concern

Patient Advice and Support Service

The Patient Advice and Support Service provides emotional and practical support for people wishing to raise a complaint about their care. Individuals can visit them at their local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Action Against Medical Accidents

Action Against Medical Accidents is a charity that supports people who have experienced avoidable harm when receiving care. They provide independent support and clinical, legal and policy expertise.

The Independent Support Service

The Independent Support Service is a free, confidential helpline available to patients, witnesses and family members that have raised a concern with the GMC or the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Provided by Victim Support, trained advisors are able to provide emotional guidance as well as giving practical advice to those involved.

I want an advocate to help raise my concern

An advocate is someone who will work closely with you to make sure you’re heard when making a complaint. They can also raise a concern on your behalf if you don’t feel comfortable. They usually work for an independent service and are professionally trained.

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance can help you find an advocate in your local authority area. It is a membership organisation that aims to make sure independent advocacy is available to any vulnerable person in Scotland.

Still not sure?

You can check if we’re the right people to handle your concern via our concerns tool.

Raise my concern with you