How to restore my registration

You can only restore to the type of registration you last held. It is important you give yourself enough time when applying. If you want to join the specialist or GP register, you will need to make a separate application.

Do I need to restore with or without a licence to practise?

When you apply, you will have to choose to restore to the register with or without a licence to practise. The application process is the same for both.

I previously held provisional registration

If you're restoring your provisional registration without a licence, you won't be able to complete your F1 training, but you'll be using up the remainder of your allocated days.

I previously held GP registration

If you are a:

  • GP returning to general practice in England and Wales, OR 
  • GP who qualified overseas who has never worked in the NHS

you are required to complete The Induction and Refresher Scheme (I&R). The scheme is mandatory for any GP who falls into either of those categories. It supports the safe return to work after a break in practice and gives guidance to those from overseas, who are new to NHS practice. It can also offer bursaries and supervised placements in general practice.

To find out more, contact the GP National Recruitment Office. Similar programmes are also available in Scotland, co-ordinated by the NHS Education for Scotland's GP careers advice service.

If you want to work as a GP in the UK, you must also apply to be included on the Performers List. 

What do I need to provide?


I have not held a licence before

If this is your first licence, you will need to satisfy us that you have the necessary knowledge of English to communicate effectively. Communicating includes speaking, reading, writing and listening. This shows that you will be able to practise medicine safely in the UK.

We may ask you to give us evidence that you have the necessary knowledge of English

If we ask you for this evidence, and:

  • you do not send it to us


  • we are not satisfied with it

We will approve you for restoration without a licence. You will not be able to practise medicine in the UK without a licence.

Proof of identity - needed in all cases

You will need to submit:

  • Your signed and up to date passport

  • OR
  • If you're an EEA or Swiss national, your up to date national identity card.

I have provided medical services in the last five years (anywhere in the world)

You have provided a medical service if you have used your medical knowledge and skill as part of your work.

You will need to provide a statement from your employer. We call this a provision of medical services statement. This statement should be completed by the individual, body or organisation where you most recently provided medical services (anywhere in the world). This includes unpaid and voluntary work, or any other sort of arrangement (both formal and informal)

Provision of medical services statements are only valid for three months from the date that they are signed.

Please download a copy of the statement (pdf) for the appropriate person to fill in.

Information for all doctors

  • The statement must account for your most recent three months of medical service (this means the last 90 days you provided medical services - even if this was spread out over a longer period, and not simply the last three calendar months).
  • If you provided medical services to more than one individual, body or organisation during this period, we require a statement from each one.
  • If you consider the most recent 90 days of your medical service has been in self-employment or private practice, we still require a statement from any individuals, bodies or organisations to whom you have provided medical services as part of this work.

Information for locum doctors

  • You can either ask the hospital where you most recently worked to complete the statement (if you worked there for longer than three months) OR
  • If you were employed through a locum agency, you can ask them to complete the statement to cover all the work you have done through them. 

I have not provided medical services in the last five years (anywhere in the world)

You will not need to provide a statement from your employer.

I have been registered with a medical regulator other than the GMC in the last five years

You will need to send us a certificate of good standing from each medical regulatory authority you have been registered or licensed with in the last five years (other than the General Medical Council), even if you have not worked there.

If you are not longer registered with the regulatory authority, you may be issued with a certificate of past good standing. You can find contact details for all medical regulatory authorities in our certificate of good standing contact database (opens in a new window).

Certificates of good standing are only valid for three months from the date that they are signed.

If there is no medical regulatory authority in the country to issue a certificate, you will need to ask the organisation to whom you provided medical services in each of those countries to complete a statement (pdf).


I have not been registered with a medical regulator other than the GMC in the last five years

You will not need to provide a certificate of good standing.

I have documents that are not in English

For every document that is not in English, you must provide:

  • The document in its original language
  • A complete and accurate translation into English.

We only accept translations from:

  • Court or council appointed translators
  • Reputable commercial translation services.

Read more guidance on translations (opens in a new window).

When and how do I send my documents?

Before you submit your online application, you will be able to upload documents by following the instructions onscreen.

You can submit your application without uploading any evidence and we will assess your application as normal. We will then email you with a list of evidence you need to see.

Please send these to or you can post them to:

General Medical Council
Registration Support Team (VERL)
3 Hardman Street
M3 3AW

Will there be any restrictions on where I can work?

If your application is successful, you may be required to work in an approved practice setting until your first revalidation

Doctors are usually subject to these requirements when they:

  • Have spent a period outside medical practice.
  • Have worked outside the UK for longer than two years.




Will I need to attend an identity check?

Yes, unless you have completed one within the last 12 months.

When we approve your application, we’ll invite you to book an identity check at our Manchester or London offices. You must complete an identity check in the UK before your application can be granted. At the identity check we'll take your photograph and inspect the original documents.

You have three months to attend an identity check once your application has been approved.

If you live overseas, please make sure you will be able to come to the UK in time for your identity check.

We cannot extend the time limit for the identity check for any reason.

For more information about this, please see our guidance on identity checks.

Fees for restoring your registration

If you gave up your registration, you will need to pay:

  • A processing fee
  • Your first ARF in full

If your registration ended because you failed to pay the ARF or because of an incorrect postal address, you will have to pay:

  • A restoration fee, which includes a processing fee
  • Your ARF in full

Please see our fees page for our current fees.       


Processing and granting your application

If we can't process your application, we will tell you why or we may ask you for more evidence and information.

If we have concerns about your fitness to practise, we might refer your application to a case examiner. We'll let you know if we do this.

Once you have attended your identity check and we have granted your application, your name will be restored to the medical register and the specialist and GP register if you held that type of registration before.

You must make sure that you hold the correct type of registration for the post you are undertaking.

I am ready to apply

If you have all of the evidence to support your application, you’re now ready to apply through your GMC Online account.

You have three months to submit your application from when you start it online. If you have not submitted your application after three months, you will have to start a new one.

I already have a GMC Online account

If you already have an account, you can log in to GMC online (opens in a new window) and apply in the ‘My Registration’ section.

I don’t have a GMC Online account yet

If you have a GMC reference number, but have never logged into your online account and do not have log in details, you can activate your GMC online account (opens in a new window).

If you need any further advice on setting up an account, please contact us.