Raise a concern about the standard of care from a hospital, doctors’ surgery or clinic

There is a range of organisations available to assist you when raising a concern about the standard of care from a hospital, doctors’ surgery or clinic. They will be better placed than us to investigate your concerns and provide you with feedback.


Healthwatch is an independent consumer champion for health and social care. It helps to collate feedback about services, sharing both positive and negative findings with the people who can make change happen. There is a local Healthwatch in every area of England and you can find the contact details for your local service on its website.

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates health and social care in England. It is their role to monitor, inspect and regulate services to make sure healthcare settings are meeting the fundamental standards of quality and safety. They don’t investigate complaints but any concerns about healthcare received can be raised with them and used to support inspections.

Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch

The Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch (HSIB) aims to improve patient safety through effective and independent investigations that do not assign blame or liability. They utilise any concerns raised to help shape national and systemic issues. It may be that an individual concern is not investigated straight away but applied to a larger inquest over time.

Still not sure?

You can check if we’re the right people to handle your concern via our concerns tool.

Raise my concern with you