Access advice, support or advocacy to help you raise your concern

Raising a concern or seeking advice and support can sometimes feel overwhelming. But there are organisations available that can help to support you through the process.

I want support when raising a concern

Patient Advice and Liaison Service

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is based in the majority of NHS hospitals and offers confidential advice to patients, their families or carers. They help to explain the complaints process at the hospital where they’re based and can put you in touch with independent organisations that can support you when raising a concern.

Patients Association

The Patients Association represents patients across the UK. It doesn’t matter if your care took place in an NHS or private setting, they can provide you with high-quality support and information that can help you make informed decisions about your care.

Action Against Medical Accidents

Action Against Medical Accidents is a charity that supports people who have experienced avoidable harm when receiving care. They provide independent support and clinical, legal and policy expertise.

Citizens Advice 

Citizens Advice offers free, independent advice about organisations that can help you if you want to raise a concern.

Independent Support Service

The Independent Support Service is a free, confidential helpline available to patients, witnesses and family members that have raised a concern with the GMC or the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).

Provided by Victim Support, trained advisors are able to provide emotional guidance as well as giving practical advice to those involved.


I want an advocate to help raise my concern

An advocate is someone who will work closely with you to make sure you’re heard when making a complaint. They can also raise a concern on your behalf if you don’t feel comfortable. They usually work for an independent service and are professionally trained.

NHS Complaints Advocacy

NHS Complaints Advocacy is a free, independent service that helps people when they want to raise a concern with the NHS.


Voiceability provides a free and independent advocacy service to people across England.

The Advocacy People

The Advocacy People is an independent health complaints advocacy service that covers various regions in England.

Rethink Mental Illness

Rethink Mental Illness helps people with mental illness to voice their concerns and access the services they need.


Still not sure?

You can check if we’re the right people to handle your concern via our concerns tool.

Raise my concern with you