How to access information about what we do
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives anyone the right to ask for recorded information held by public authorities.
You have the right to ask us for information and we'll:
- tell you whether or not we have the information you want
- give the information to you, unless it is covered by any of the exemptions listed in the Act.
I want to request information
Please first check our publication scheme. If you can't find the information you want on our website or by using the publication scheme, you can send us an information request.
You'll need to send us:
- your name and contact details (email or postal address) so we can send you a reply
- a description of the information or documents you want.
Please send your request to:
Information Access team
General Medical Council
3 Hardman Street
Alternatively, you can email your request to: email@example.com.
I want help with asking for information
We've answered some of the common questions people ask when requesting information below.
How long will it take to respond to my request?
We will respond to your request as soon as possible, normally within 20 working days. You will receive a reply to say either:
- we have the information you have asked for and include a copy of it
- we have the information but we cannot give it to you because we are exempt from doing so – in which case we will explain why
- we can't confirm or deny if we have the information – in which case we will explain why.
How much will it cost?
If you request information through our publication scheme and the entry says that a charge will apply, you will be told how much this will cost.
Requests made under the Freedom of Information Act are free. However, we don't have to answer a request if the cost of doing so is more than £450. This is about two and half days of work, or 18 hours, at a rate of £25 per person per hour.
Information we can't give you
If we can't give you any information, we will tell you why it has been withheld, the exemption we believe applies and information about how to appeal.
I want to know more about the Freedom of Information Act
You can find more details about the Act at: