If you've referred a doctor to the GMC
If you have concerns about the fitness to practise of a doctor, you should first refer to our referral guidance and contact your Employer Liaison Adviser (ELA), who will be able to offer advice.
If your ELA recommends that you refer a doctor to us, we’ll need specific information to help us decide whether to investigate. In particular:
- A chronology of events, including dates if possible;
- Details of exactly what concerns you feel require GMC consideration and why;
- Relevant background information;
- Details of any action taken locally;
- Medical records for the relevant time period;
- Any available supporting documentation, for example investigation reports, expert reports or disciplinary records;
- Whether you feel there are patient safety concerns.
- If the doctor you are referring has raised patient safety concerns, you should provide details of what these relate to and how they’ve been managed locally.