If you've referred a doctor to the GMC
If you have concerns about the fitness to practise of a doctor, you should first refer to our referral guidance and contact your employer liaison adviser (ELA), who will be able to offer advice.
If your ELA recommends that you refer a doctor to us, we’ll need specific information to help us decide whether to investigate. In particular:
- a chronology of events, including dates if possible
- details of exactly what concerns you feel require GMC consideration and why
- relevant background information
- details of any action taken locally
- medical records for the relevant time period
- any available supporting documentation, for example investigation reports, expert reports or disciplinary records
- whether you feel there are patient safety concerns
- if the doctor you are referring has raised patient safety concerns, you should provide details of what these relate to and how they’ve been managed locally.