Help services in Guernsey

  1. Summary
  2. Guernsey

If you have a concern about patient safety or the quality of care in Guernsey, there are a number of organisations who can help. In most cases raising your concern locally, where you received your care, is the best place to start.

Raise a concern about a doctor

We would encourage you to speak with your doctor first if you have a concern and the outcome you are looking for is listed below.

  • Would you like an explanation of what happened to you?
  • Would you like an apology?
  • Would you like to discuss appropriate treatment?

You may not feel comfortable to raise your concern directly. If this is the case, there are other people who can offer confidential advice and support to you in the place you received your care.

If the outcome you are looking for is not listed above and appears in the list of things we investigate, you can raise your concern via our online form at the bottom of the page. Alternatively, you can speak with one of our contact centre advisors.

Raise a concern about another healthcare professional

If your concern is about another healthcare professional, such as a nurse or a pharmacist, another regulator will be better placed to help you. You can find out who you need to speak to on the Professional Standards Authority website.

Raise a concern about your GP

We would encourage you to speak about your concern with your GP, if you feel comfortable to do so. They can try to put things right for you straight away, for instance, by discussing your care and providing a detailed explanation of what's happened. 

If you don’t feel comfortable raising a concern with your GP, you can also raise your concern with the practice manager.

Raise a concern about the standard of care from a hospital, doctors’ surgery or clinic

Each provider of healthcare on the island of Guernsey has its own complaints procedure and they will be best placed to advise you on the process

The Health and Social Care Customer Care Team will help you find the right healthcare provider or take up the concern themselves. 

Escalate a concern as you’re unhappy with the response you’ve already had

If you’re unhappy with the response you’ve had after raising a concern, there are organisations that you can approach for further support.

Responsible officer

If, after raising your concerns with the Health and Social Care Customer Care Team, you are unhappy with the response you've received from the relevant organisation, you may wish to contact the doctor's responsible officer.

Responsible officers are experienced doctors. They're responsible for making sure doctors review all their work each year at an appraisal and they take action if there are any serious problems. They review information about the doctor’s work and tell us whether the doctor is up to date and giving a good standard of care (usually every five years). Based on this, we decide if the doctor can revalidate and can keep their licence.

Local law and legislation in Guernsey mean that the responsible officer can investigate if you are unhappy with the response received.

You can find details of a doctor’s responsible officer on the medical register.

Still not sure?

You can check if we’re the right people to handle your concern via our concerns tool.

Raise my concern with you