I need to update my details on the register

Update your details in GMC Online

You need to keep your details up to date in GMC Online. This includes your:

  • address
  • email
  • designated body or suitable person (revalidation)
  • direct debit details.

You can also use GMC Online to change your details on the medical register.

Changing your address

It is important to make sure your registered address is always current. The best way to keep your address and other contact details up-to-date is to change them on GMC Online. You can update your registered address and other contact details using our enquiry form.

Remember, if you do not maintain a reliable address you may be removed from the register.

Changing your name

If you've changed your name and want to be registered in a different name to the one in which you are currently registered, please complete the electronic change of name form and send it to us with a scanned copy of the evidence for your change of name.

The form tells you what evidence to send. Note: we can only change your name based on an email if it comes from the email address we hold on your record. You can check your registered email address through GMC Online. 

Changing your name and gender status

Good medical practice requires you to make sure you're identifiable to your patients and colleagues. For example, by using your registered name when signing statutory documents including prescriptions.

If you want to practise in a name and gender status that is different to your registered name and gender status, you need to call us for details on how to apply to do this.

One of our experienced advisers will help you through the process. Your application will be confidential.

The application process

We will post you a hard copy application form to complete. Based upon your individual circumstances you can send us evidence including: 

  • a birth certificate in your current gender status
  • evidence of your change of name.

Two separate register entries will appear on the medical register. One will be under your old name and gender status. Another will be in your new name and gender status. Both entries have a different GMC reference number.