Things to consider if you are giving up your licence
- Should I give up my registration or just my licence to practise?
- Things to consider if you are giving up your licence
- What should I do if I am unsure whether I need a licence to practise
- What should I do if I decide to give up my licence
I’m thinking of giving up my licence to practise. What do I need to know?
Giving up your licence but keeping your registration means you're able to prove your good standing with us to other organisations. You will not be able to practise medicine in the UK.
You still have a duty to comply with Good medical practice even if you don’t hold a licence. You can use the title ‘Doctor’ and sign passport photographs.
You should also consider:
- You need to be fully registered with a licence if you are intending to apply for a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or are applying for one at the moment.
- You will automatically be removed from any performers list if you change your status on the medical register, so before making a decision to give up your licence, you should check if removing your name from the list will affect your role. You might also want to find out how to get back on the list at a later date by checking with either your NHSE local office or the relevant Health Board.
- If you are a trainee you must speak to your Deanery or LETB before giving up your licence. Remember that you must have a licence to practise in order to keep your National Training Number.
- To be appointed as a responsible officer or suitable person you must have been registered with a licence to practise throughout the previous five years.
- We’ve created top tips about a number of common enquiries we get about holding a licence to practise. You can find these in on our licensing resources page.
You can still help in emergencies
You can help in emergencies or carry out so-called ‘Good Samaritan’ acts.
You should get advice from your medical defence organisation or insurance or indemnity provider if you’re concerned about potential liabilities from helping in an emergency if you don’t hold a licence.
How much does it cost?
There is a processing fee for giving up your registration or licence to practise and applying to restore them again. Please see our fees page for information.