Provisional registration for international medical graduates

This guide is for international medical graduates. It explains how to apply for provisional registration with a licence to practise.

You are eligible for this route if you: 

  • are a national of a country outside the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and graduated from a medical school outside of the UK 
  • are a UK national who has graduated from a medical school outside the UK, EEA or Switzerland. 
  • do not have enforceable community rights

and you have:

  • passed both parts of the PLAB test within. Your PLAB 2 pass should have been achieved no more than two years before the date on which we approve your application.  If your PLAB 2 pass was achieved more than two years ago you will be required to provide further evidence of your recent medical experience.
  • not completed an internship (if you have completed an internship, you must apply for full registration).

You must have provisional registration with a licence to practise before you start your first year of the Foundation Programme (F1).

Why should I read this guide? 
To find out what you need to do to make your application. 
Next steps
Once you are ready to apply – make your application online. You can do this up to three months before you start your F1 post.