Provisional registration for international medical graduates
This guide is for international medical graduates. It explains how to apply for provisional registration with a licence to practise.
You are eligible for this route if you:
- are a national of a country outside the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and graduated from a medical school outside of the UK
- are a UK national who has graduated from a medical school outside the UK, EEA or Switzerland.
- do not have enforceable community rights
and you have:
- passed both parts of the PLAB test within the past two years
- not completed an internship (if you have completed an internship, you must apply for full registration).
You must have provisional registration with a licence to practise before you start your first year of the Foundation Programme (F1).
From 11 June 2018, once your primary medical qualification meets our acceptability criteria, you'll need to have it (and your acceptable postgraduate qualification) independently verified before we can grant your registration with a licence to practise. If you intend to apply after this date, read about what this will mean for you. If you intend to start F1 in 2018, we strongly recommend you apply before 11 June.