About document folders
Document Folders is the main document sharing area of GMC Connect.
All users have access to at least one folder (your own “personal folder”). Access to additional folders will be provided by the GMC Connect administrators as and when required.
To access the Documents area of GMC Connect, click on the Document Folders menu item.
Listed in this screen are the document folders that the GMC has shared with you.
Folders are presented with the most recent at the top of the list. Depending on the numbers of folders you have been given access to, you may need to scroll down to see your older folders.
The following information is visible in the folder list:
- The Folder name
- The number of documents contained in the folder
- The date of the most recent file upload to this folder
- The number of comments posted within the folder forum
- The date of the most recent comment
To open a folder, click on the folder’s View Details link. The page now displays additional information and links for that folder.
- The Folder name
- The number of folder comments that have been posted by users within this folder forum. Click on View Forum to view the comments.
- Click on View Folder Users to see who has access to the folder
- Click this button to upload a new document from your local computer (or network) to this GMC Connect folder
- The document list which contains all documents added by the GMC or any user who has access to this particular folder. You can open any document by clicking on the document name. You can also see who uploaded the document and when.
Downloading a document
Each document displayed within a Document Folder is accessed via a link.
By clicking a document link, you will open the file download dialogue box that will allow you to open or save the document.
Depending on your computer and web browser configuration, you may be prompted to select a location on your computer to save the file to.
The time it takes to download a file will depend on both the size of the file and the speed of your internet connection.
Uploading a document
To upload a file, click on the 'add document' button.
The following form will appear.
Click on the Browse button to begin choosing a document. A window will appear prompting you to select a file to upload.
Select a file from your local system or network and enter a description of the file to be uploaded.
Click on Upload to begin the file upload to GMC Connect.
Once uploaded, your document will be shown in the folder’s document list.
- Documents that have been uploaded to GMC Connect are locked down such that GMC Connect users cannot remove or modify them.
- If you accidentally upload a file into the wrong folder, contact the GMC Connect administrator, who can move the file for you.
- GMC administrators may “close” a folder after a time. A closed folder becomes read-only, and it will no longer be possible to add further documents.
Adding a new version of a document
If you need to provide an updated version of a document, you should upload this as a separate document, naming it appropriately (e.g. by appending “version 2”) and recording appropriate comments against the document description.
Removing a document
If you would like to have a document removed from a folder, please contact your GMC Connect administrator.
Access to each document folder is controlled by the GMC Connect administrators. By clicking on the View Folder Users link you can see which users have access to the folder and its documents. GMC Connect administrators are not shown in the list, but are also able to access the folder and its contents.
The forum function allows you to post comments against a document folder. Note that comments that are posted are visible to all users who have access to the folder, including internal users at the GMC.
Viewing forum comments
In the folder information, # Posts shows how many comments have been posted in this folder. You can also see under Last Post Date when the most recent comment was added.
To view the comments held within a Document Folder, click on View Forum.
You are now presented with the Comments list which shows all comments posted against this folder.
Posting a comment
Prior to posting a comment, please be aware that all posted comments are locked down and are not removable or updateable by GMC Connect users. You must contact your GMC Contact administrator if you need to remove a posted comment.
To add a comment, click on Post Comment.
Then, enter your comment in the text field and click the Post button.
Your new post is now at the top of the list.
GMC administrators may “close” a folder after a time. A closed folder becomes read-only, and it will no longer be possible to post further comments.
Acceptable Use Statement
The GMC reserves the right to edit or remove comments, and / or suspend GMC Connect user accounts, where inappropriate content has been posted.
Please be aware that comments posted on GMC Connect may be subject to freedom of information requests.