GMC Logo Search the register GMC Online
  1. Home
  2. Education
  3. Standards guidance and curricula
  4. Guidance
  5. Programme and site approvals
  6. Local office or deanery administrators

Local office or deanery administrators

As a local office/deanery administrator you have a responsibility to check that the information you send to us is complete and accurate. Please check the Programme and Location application form before submitting it to us to make sure all the necessary information is included. If there is information missing this will delay the process. 

How do I submit an approval request?

You can do this through GMC Connect. To add a location to an existing programme, you only need to send the Programme and Location application form. If you are adding or removing a location to an existing programme you don’t need to send endorsement from the college or faculty.

When you submit an application through GMC Connect you will be given a service request number. You can use this number to keep track of your application. You'll be able to see the programme or location details once your service request is marked as complete in GMC Connect. We'll also send you a confirmation email.

We will process all requests within ten working days.

How do I access GMC Connect?

If you already have a GMC Connect account you can log in through this GMC Connect link.
Or the link is available in the footer across our website.

If you don't yet have an account, email with your full name and organisation and include a reason you need access (eg to process programme and location approvals).

When do I need endorsement from the royal college or faculty?

When you are creating a new programme, you must ask for endorsement from the relevant royal college or faculty. They will provide their endorsement back to you via a recognised college or faculty email address.

You should check with the college or faculty to find out what information they will need to endorse a new programme.

You don’t need college or faculty support for:

  • foundation programmes
  • broad based training
  • adding or removing a location to an existing programme.

How do I merge existing programmes?

You should email with details of the programme codes to be merged. Please note that we can’t merge programmes during the survey period (usually between March and May).

What is a session?

A session is classed as a half day. This can't be calculated as a percentage of a doctor’s time. Whether the doctor is full time or less than full time one session will always be half a day.

This does not translate into a percentage of a set period. So if a doctor spends one session in a location one week, but three sessions in that location the following week, you must have approval.

What is a location code?

The Organisation Data Service (ODS) publishes codes that identify organisations and individuals across health and social care for England and a table of codes for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. By using this unique identifying code we can be sure we are approving and monitoring the correct location.

If you are requesting approval of a new location which doesn't have an ODS code, please apply to ODS for a code before making a submission to us.

If the location is not an NHS location you must provide us with the full address of the location.

What do I need to do if a location has changed address?

If ODS updates the code when a location changes we will contact you to check whether the location should continue to be approved. We update our database monthly. If you identify a change before it registers in our system please let us know so we can update our database.

If the change won’t result in a new ODS code for your approved location you don’t need to do anything.

How do I remove a location because it is no longer required?

You should complete a Programme and Location application form identifying which locations will be removed. If a location needs to be removed from a number of programmes, please specify each programme that the location will no longer be used for.

Please include the reason you are removing a location from a programme. If it is easier, you can attach more documents with greater detail.

What approval do I need for a dual CCT?

If competences are gained for both programmes in a location, then the location should be approved for both programmes. If the competences gained only relate to one programme, then the location only needs to be approved for the relevant programme.

For example; a general internal medicine/geriatric medicine doctor in training is due to start in a new location. Approval for geriatric medicine would not be required if they will only be gaining competencies in general internal medicine.