First year of the Foundation Programme (F1)

What is Foundation Year 1?

Foundation Year 1 is the first year of a two-year programme for doctors who have just graduated from medical school. It allows you to put into practice the key skills and knowledge that you have learnt during undergraduate medical education and prepare for practising as a fully registered doctor in the UK. 

Recruitment to the Foundation Programme is managed by the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO). Once you have a place on the programme, you can apply for provisional registration with us.

Please be aware that evidence of English language capability required by the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) may differ to that required to obtain GMC registration.  Please check with the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) for details.

Completing Foundation Year 1

During this Foundation Year 1, you must show that you have met the outcomes in Outcomes for provisionally registered doctors.

If your medical school (or their designated representative at your foundation school, LETB or deanery), is satisfied that you have met the outcomes, they will issue a certificate of experience to us.

The certificate of experience allows you to apply for full registration with a licence to practise and move onto the second year of the Foundation Programme. You do not need to apply for registration with us until three months before you’re due to start work in the UK. 

Delaying the start of Foundation Year 1

If you’re planning to take time out of your medical career you should read Good medical practice. In particular, read paragraphs 7 to 13 in regards to keeping your knowledge and skills up to date.

We do not place a time limit between graduating from medical school and beginning the Foundation Programme. But the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) has different criteria for those who graduated more than two years before joining the programme. Therefore, you should get further advice from the UKFPO about this. You should also speak to your medical school (and possibly a careers' adviser) about this decision.