Using other types of evidence

Can you submit any other evidence of your knowledge of English?

If you’re applying to take the PLAB test, you can only use your IELTS certificate, OET certificate or primary medical qualification as evidence of your knowledge of English.

Sometimes, for other routes to registration,  you may be able to submit other evidence of your knowledge of English. However, this is at our discretion.

You may submit:

  • a pass in a language test for registration with a medical regulatory authority in a country where English is the first and native language. This must be less than two years old.

You may not submit evidence of secondary or non-medical university education, regardless of where it was completed.

This is because we require all applicants to show they can read, write and speak in English. Applicants must also demonstrate they can use English to interact with patients, their families and colleagues. Non-medical English education does not offer that type of interaction and so we are not able to accept it.

Please contact us if you have any questions.