Delegation and referral (summary)
This guidance looks closely at delegation and how both parties have separate responsibilities and how this works.
For those delegating it tells you:
- how to give clear instructions,
- the information to pass on
- the importance of checking understanding.
It also advises on ways to check to be satisfied that your colleague can do the task.
For those accepting delegated tasks,
- there’s details on the responsibility to understand the task
- seek help or clarification when necessary
- the need to put patient safety before all other considerations.
It also gives advice on referring patients safely to other medical and healthcare professionals and how to explain this to your patients.
This guidance came into effect on 30 January 2024.