We recognise that this is a very difficult and worrying time for doctors. Our professional standards provide a framework for ethical decision making in a wide range of situations. They should be followed as far as practical in the circumstances. We're regularly updating our advice for doctors as the situation develops.
Guidance for doctors who offer cosmetic interventions
Do you carry out cosmetic interventions? If so, then this is essential reading for you. Following this guidance will make sure that you provide the right standard of care to your patient. It covers issues such as:
- recognising and working within the limits of your competence
- making sure that you get consent from your patient yourself
- having a clear discussion with your patient about outcome, benefits and risks
- giving your patients time to reflect so they can make an informed decision
- taking into account your patients vulnerabilities and psychological needs
- marketing your services responsibly.
This guidance came into effect 1 June 2016.
Download the guidance
You can download the guidance in English or Welsh.