Guidance on CPD
This GMC guidance – Continuing professional development: guidance for all doctors (pdf) has been developed in co-operation with doctors, medical Royal Colleges, employers, patients and the public, and follows widespread public consultation earlier this year.
We hope doctors will use it to reflect on how their learning and development improves the quality of care they provide to patients and for the service in which they work.
The guidance describes:
- how doctors should plan, carry out and evaluate their CPD activities
- the importance of taking account of the needs of patients and of the healthcare team when doctors consider their own learning needs
- how doctors should reflect on the Good Medical Practice domains when evaluating their CPD needs
- the relationship between CPD and revalidation
- the use of appraisal, job planning and personal development plans in managing CPD and how to record CPD activities
- the responsibilities of others, such as employers and Colleges, in supporting doctors’ CPD.
Read the information sheet for employers (pdf) about Continuing Professional Development: guidance for all doctors.
Read the press release about the launch of Continuing Professional Development: guidance for all doctors.