Guidance on CPD
This guidance is to help doctors to plan and reflect on their learning opportunities and prepare to discuss this at appraisals.
How the guidance was developed
We developed the guidance in co-operation with doctors, medical royal colleges, employers, patients and the public.
We produced the final version after holding a large scale public consultation to give all audiences a chance to have their say.
What areas does it cover?
- how doctors should plan, carry out and evaluate their CPD activities
- the importance of taking account of the needs of patients and of the healthcare team when doctors consider their own learning needs
- how doctors should reflect on the Good Medical Practice domains when evaluating their CPD needs
- the relationship between CPD and revalidation
- the use of appraisal, job planning and personal development plans in managing CPD and how to record CPD activities
- the responsibilities of others, such as employers and Colleges, in supporting doctors’ CPD.
Read the guidance
To read the guidance as it appears in the print version, you can use the navigation arrows at the bottom of each page. Begin reading.
For an overview of the guidance you can use the contents page.