Information for sports events
Information for event organisers
Each year, athletes from all over the world come to the UK to take part in sports events and many bring their own doctors with them. There is a specific registration process for doctors who are travelling to the UK with their country teams for sports events.
If you are organising a large sports event we strongly recommend that you contact us at least six to 12 months in advance of it so we have time to plan for it. For smaller sports events (less than 30 doctors anticipated), please contact us between four and six months in advance.
Doctors practising in the UK for a sports event
Doctors must be registered with a licence to practise to practise medicine in the UK. This includes all doctors visiting from overseas and from Europe on a temporary basis. All team doctors accompanying their teams for the athletics events, must hold temporary registration with a licence to practise to be permitted to treat, diagnose and prescribe for their team.
Please note that this type of registration does not permit doctors to treat UK nationals. See other types of registration available.
How to get registered for events
We recommend that you apply at least 60 days before your event begins. There is no guarantee that registration will be granted for applications received later than this.
Please email your completed application form to us, with photocopies of the following documents.
- Primary medical qualification
- Certificate of good standing issued by the medical regulatory authority of the country in which you are currently established
- Licence to practise (if you need one to practise in the country in which you are established)
- Valid passport (picture and signature pages)
- Translations of any documents not in English (Court appointed or reputable commercial translation companies are recommended)
- For doctors with a European qualification – accompanying certificates and compliancy letters as listed for the country where you obtained your qualification
Please email your form and scanned copies of these documents as one pdf or zip file to email@example.com.
What happens next?
When you have sent your application form and documents to us you will hear from us within five working days. We may ask you for more information. Incomplete application forms and missing evidence will delay your application for registration.
We will tell you when your registration is granted. You are not permitted to practise in the UK unless your name is listed on the UK medical register.