GMC Logo Search the register GMC Online
  1. Home
  2. Registration and licensing
  3. Join the register
  4. Registration applications
  5. Specialist application guides
  6. Existing GP certificate

Existing general practice certificate

If you’ve already been awarded a certificate making you eligible for entry on to the GP Register you can apply to enter the GP Register using this.

Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible to apply via the existing certificate route you need to have a certificate from one of these organisations.

  • Specialist Training Authority
  • Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board

Your certificate needs to be one of the following.

  • Certificate of completion of specialist training (CCST)
  • Certificate of completion of training (CCT)
  • Certificate of eligibility for specialist registration (CESR)

Your certificate must have been awarded between 12 January 1996 and 31 January 2007.

Ready to apply?

If you meet the eligibility criteria to apply, please contact us on to ask for a CN22 existing certificates application form.

You’ll need to complete this in full and return it to us at:

General Medical Council
Specialist Applications team
3 Hardman Street
M3 3AW

What happens after I apply?

Your name will appear on the GP Register on the date your application is granted. 

Please check the medical register before you take up a post that requires you to be entered onto the GP Register.