Changes we are making to CESR and CEGPR applications
On 6 November the online application system for CESR, CEGPR and Review applications is changing. We’ve listened to feedback from applicants through a survey and at training events asking to provide evidence electronically. We’re introducing this option to make it easier and less burdensome for doctors.
We’ll be providing more detailed guidance nearer the time, so it’s important you keep checking our website guidance for information.
Why are we making changes to the online application?
There are several benefits for introducing this functionality:
- It will be cheaper and quicker for you as you won’t need to print and post large numbers of documents.
- You’ll be able to use the online application like a portfolio and gather your evidence electronically in the application over a 12 month period.
- We’ll be able to process your application more quickly as there won’t be unnecessary delays caused by us waiting for evidence to arrive, or you waiting for unaccepted evidence to be returned.
- We’re reducing the risk that documents will be delayed or lost in the post.
Other changes we’re making:
- Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be able to provide you with guidance on your documents via your GMC online account.
- You’ll be able to correct documents and submit additional evidence and information via your GMC online account.
- You’ll be able to provide full details of your verifiers in the application and submit your evidence pro-formas in the application electronically.
FAQs on the changes
At what stages in my application can I upload evidence?
We’re encouraging you to spend time gathering your evidence in GMC online before submitting your application, to limit the number of evidence submissions you’ll need to make and speed up your application.
- Once your application has been submitted, we’ll review your evidence and provide guidance - we’ll make our advice available to you via GMC online.
- At this point you’ll be able to amend or add further electronic evidence in GMC online.
- Whilst we’re reviewing your evidence you won’t have access to the application to upload additional evidence – you’ll need to wait until we contact you to confirm you can do this.
What kind of electronic files can be uploaded?
Many types of electronic files can be uploaded – a list is below:
.bmp, .csv, .dat, .doc, .docx, .dot, .dotx, .gif, .jpg, .msg, .pdf, .pps, .ppt, .pptx,.rtf, .txt, .fdf
It’s important you ensure the information in any file uploaded is clearly visible, correctly anonymised and the title of the document matches your pro-forma.
How do I get evidence verified if it’s electronic?
You can send an electronic bundle of your evidence to your verifier, making sure this is done using a secure method that this complies with our guidance on confidentiality and Good Medical Practice.
The pro-forma is designed to be completed electronically by both you and your verifier.
If you can’t provide your evidence to your verifier in electronic format, your verifier can check the evidence in hard copy. You can then scan this and upload it electronically in your application.
Can I still submit hard copy evidence?
Yes. We haven’t removed the option for you to provide hard copy evidence where you need to, or don’t have the capability to upload evidence in GMC online.
If you want to provide any hard copy evidence, you just need to tell us in your application.
It’s important that you are providing hard copy evidence; we can clearly see which section of your application it relates to.
Can I submit a mix of electronic and hard copy evidence?
Yes - you can provide either: electronic evidence, hard copy evidence or a mixture of electronic and hard copy evidence.
What happens if I upload evidence that doesn’t meet your requirements?
Any document uploaded which doesn’t meet our redaction and anonymisation guidance will be deleted from the application and we’ll let you know as part of our evidence review.
Where uploaded evidence doesn’t meet our criteria, we’ll recommend that you remove this yourself from the application.
Your evidence still needs to be verified in the same way – using pro-formas and the guidance on our website. There will be a new section in the online application for you to provide details of their verifiers.
How will I provide the evidence pro-formas?
We’ll expect to receive the evidence pro-formas as part of the evidence in your application – they’ll be a specific section in the application for you to do this.
Do I need to provide all verifier details in my application?
We advise that details of all verifiers are provided in the online application. It’s the final section of the application so you should know who these people are based on the evidence you’ve collated.
If you need to provide a new or alternative verifier once you’ve submitted your application, you can email these details.
I’ve already submitted my application - what do I need to do?
If you submitted your application before 6 November you won’t be affected by the changes.
You won’t be able to provide electronic evidence and the remainder of you evidence will still need to be submitted in hard copy.
I’ve started my application in GMC online but not submitted it – what are my options?
If you created your application in GMC online before 6 November you won’t be able to provide electronic evidence and the evidence throughout your application will need to be submitted in hard copy.
If you would like the option to provide evidence electronically, you’ll need to withdraw your application in GMC online and submit a new application, on or after the 6 November. If you choose to do this:
- You will need to re-enter all your information in the new application.
- We can provide a print out of the information you’ve already entered in your application so you can copy and paste it in to your new application – we can only do this before you withdraw the application.
We encourage you to consider the above options - how you decide to proceed may depend on the amount of hard copy evidence you’ve already collated.
I’ve not started an application in GMC online but have hard copy evidence prepared already – what are my options?
If you create your application in GMC online on or after 6 November you will have the ability to provide evidence electronically.
If you have already collected some hard copy evidence, you can either:
- Provide this evidence in hard copy once you’ve submitted your application
- Scan this evidence on to your computer and upload it electronically in your application.