Brexit information for doctors

From 1 January our registration processes changed for some doctors who have a non-UK qualification. 
Read our Brexit guide to find out more.

Join the register

There are different ways to apply for registration with a license to practise in the UK. It all depends on where you qualified and your experience. Here, you can read our guides to registration and apply to join the Medical, GP or Specialist Registers. You can also move from provisional to full registration.

What you should know before you apply

How to join a register

You can find the right application and support to join either the medical, GP or Specialist registers using our application finder. It will take you through step-by-step on how to apply.

A doctor carrying out an exercise using a dummy

Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board

If you graduated from a medical school outside of the UK or the EEA, you will likely need to take a Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test to join the register.  

Quick links:

International sports events

You need a specific registration if you are travelling with your country's teams to UK sporting events. See what you need to do get registered.


You can speak to our independent appeals team about the outcome of your application.