I’ve been asked to verify evidence. What do I need to do?
How to verify evidence for an application to the Specialist or GP Register
Thank you for agreeing to verify the evidence an applicant to the specialist or GP register needs to provide in support of their application.
This guidance aims to:
- support you in your role of verifier
- explain what you’ll need to do to verify the applicant’s evidence
- explain how we’ll seek assurance from you about the accuracy and validity of that evidence.
If you have any further questions please call us on 0161 923 6602 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why have I been asked to be a verifier?
All training and experience evidence supplied by a doctor in support of their application must be verified by someone in a medical supervisory position who:
- works at the hospital where the training or experience took place
- is able to confirm that the evidence is a true and accurate record of the applicant’s practice
The applicant has identified you to be a suitable person because the evidence they are supplying was gained in the hospital or institution where you worked together.
Principles of verification
Before we submit applications for evaluation by the Royal Colleges and Faculties we have to be satisfied that the evidence submitted is an accurate reflection of the applicant’s experience and knowledge.
We’ll check a percentage of evidence from each applicants bundle in order to satisfy ourselves that the evidence supplied is authentic and accurate.
From this sample we’ll contact the person who has verified the evidence and ask them to confirm they signed the pro-forma and checked the evidence.
You can only verify evidence from the hospital at which they worked with the applicant. You cannot verify evidence from any of the applicant’s other employments.
What do I need to do?
- Complete all the verifier sections of the pro-forma (Parts 04-05), which can be found here.
- Please provide either your GMC registered email address. If you aren’t registered with us please provide you professional/work email address.
- Refer to the ‘Index of Evidence’ section of the pro-forma (Part 03), and check the doctor’s evidence bundle relates to the institution where you work/worked together. Make sure that the evidence in the bundle is what is listed and described.
- Check the total number of pages listed matches those in the bundle.
- Where necessary check the institution’s or your own personal records to satisfy yourself on the validity of the evidence provided.
- Electronically sign the pro-forma to attest to the authenticity and accuracy of the evidence included in the bundle and detailed in the pro-forma.
You should keep a copy of the pro-forma for your records, as we will contact you to verify this information once the applicant has submitted their evidence.
What should I do if I can’t verify the applicant’s evidence?
If you aren’t able to confirm the validity of some or all of the evidence the applicant has listed in their pro-forma you should:
- Return the unsigned pro-forma to the applicant, confirming which evidence you aren’t able to verify
- Ask the applicant to provide you with a new pro-forma to complete which only lists evidence you are able to verify
What happens next?
- When the doctor submits their bundle some of the evidence you verified may be subject to checks.
- You’ll receive an email from a member of the Specialist Applications Team to your registered email (or work/professional email address if you aren’t registered with us), within a week of receiving the doctor’s bundle of evidence. This is to confirm you’re acting as one of the verifiers for the doctor’s application.
- Please respond to the email with the details we’ve requested, within two weeks.
- If the evidence you verified is selected for checks, you’ll receive another email from a member of the Specialist Applications Team within thirty days. We’ll attach the sample of evidence from the doctor’s bundle to the email and ask you to confirm this is the evidence you checked originally, and completed the pro-forma to attest to its accuracy and authenticity.
- Please respond to this email via return to email@example.com within two weeks.
- If the doctor is invited to provide further evidence to support their application and it derives from the institution you work/worked, you may be asked to complete a further pro-forma to attest to the validity of the further evidence they are providing.
- In this instance, some of the further evidence you verified may be subject to checks and the same process will be followed.