Good medical practice
Good medical practice sets out the standards of care and behaviour expected of all medical professionals.
It covers areas that include:
- making the care of patients the first concern
- providing a good standard of practice and care, and working within competence
- working in partnership with patients and supporting them to make informed decisions about their care
- treating colleagues with respect and help to create an environment that is compassionate, supportive and fair
- acting with honesty and integrity and being open if things go wrong
- protecting and promoting the health of patients and the public
This guidance came into effect on 30 January 2024.