I am being sponsored by a GMC approved sponsor

I am a doctor who:

  • is a national of the UK or country outside the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, who graduated from a medical school outside the UK
  • does not have European Community rights.

And I:

  • hold an acceptable primary medical qualification (PMQ) and
  • have been selected for postgraduate training by a UK medical Royal College or Faculty, or by one of a small number of postgraduate institutions or
  • am being sponsored by someone on our list of approved sponsors.

Before you apply

You must satisfy our experience requirements as documented in all approved sponsors' schemes:

'Doctors applying for an offer of sponsorship must have been engaged in medical practice for three out of the last five years, including the most recent 12 months.'

We advise that you continue to practise throughout this process. Please note that clinical attachments and observerships are not counted as medical practice.

It is important that you read and understand all of the information below and are able to send all of the required documents listed, once you have submitted your application. This will help us to assess your application more quickly.


My primary medical qualification (PMQ)

You'll need to provide details of your primary medical qualification and check that your PMQ is accepted by us.

You must send us a scanned copy of your decorative PMQ certificate given to you when you first qualified. It must confirm the exact date you passed your final exam/assessment. If it doesn't, we will need to see a letter from your university confirming this information.


From 11 June 2018, you'll need to have your PMQ independently verified before we can grant your registration with a licence to practise. If you intend to apply after this date, read about what this will mean for you.

Evidence of your knowledge of English

As part of the application process, you must satisfy us that you have the necessary knowledge of English to practise medicine in the UK.

Sponsorship certificate

You will be asked to provide details of your GMC approved sponsor.

Your sponsor will need to complete a certificate of sponsorship and send the original to us

Proof of identity

You will need to send us a copy of both the photo ID page of your passport and page with your signature on it.

Certificate(s) of Good Standing (CGS)

You will need to send us a certificate of good standing from each medical regulatory authority you have been registered or licensed within the last five years, even if you have not worked there.

If you are no longer registered or licensed with the regulatory authority, you may be issued with a certificate of past good standing. You can find out which medical authority to contact in our CGS contact database.

Certificates of good standing are only valid for three months from the date that they are signed.

If there is no medical regulatory authority in the country to issue a certificate, you will need to ask the organisation to whom you provided medical services in each of those countries, to complete a statement.

Please read our guidance on evidence of fitness to practise before completing your application.

My activities over the last five years

You'll need to provide details of all your medical and non-medical experience or other activities for the last five years.

Examples of other activities are:

  • clinical attachments
  • unemployment
  • maternity leave
  • study leave
  • vacation
  • career break.

Employer references

Employment references are only required for:

  • any periods during the last five years in which you have been working in a non-medical capacity
  • any periods during the last five years in which you have been working in a medical capacity and have not been registered or licensed to practise with a medical regulatory authority.

The form must confirm:

  • the exact dates of your employment
  • that you were of good standing during your employment
  • the nature of your work
  • registration requirements.

Reference forms for any current posts are only valid for three months from the date they are signed.

Declaration of fitness to practise

You'll need to complete a set of questions regarding your fitness to practise. Depending on your answers to these questions, you may be asked to provide further evidence. Not providing us with all the information we need, will mean we may be unable to make a decision on your application.

Please read our guidance on the declaration of fitness to practise and guidance on declaring health issues before completing your application.

Will there be restrictions on where I can work?

If your application is successful, you will be required to work in an approved practice setting (APS) until your first revalidation.

I have documents that are not in English

For every document that is not in English, you must provide:

  • The document in its original language
  • A complete and accurate translation into English.

We only accept translations from:

  • Court or council appointed translators
  • Reputable commercial translation services.

Read more guidance on translations (opens in a new window).

When and how do I send my documents?

When you've submitted your application, we'll email you a list of documents that we need to see. You must email scanned copies of these documents as one pdf or zip file within 28 days. If we do not hear from you within 28 days, we will close your application and send you a full refund less our scrutiny fee. Please see our fees page for our current fees.

You will need to reapply if you still want registration.

Once we receive the documents, we'll make a full assessment of your application. We'll contact you if we need further evidence or information to support your application. We cannot assess your application until you have sent your documents.

If you've previously sent us any of the documents we've asked for, say this in your email as you may not need to send them again.

Costs and refunds

Once you've completed your application online, but before you submit it, you'll be asked to pay a fee for full registration with a licence to practise. You won't be able to submit your application without paying the fee. However, you can save your application and come back to it later if you need to.

Some sponsors charge fees for their sponsorship schemes. You must contact them for further information.

If your application is unsuccessful, you should contact the sponsor to see if they offer a refund - this is not something we can do on your behalf.

Please see our fees page for our current fees.

How long does it take to process my application?

We aim to carry out an initial assessment within five working days. We can't assess your application until we have the documents and information detailed in the above sections.

At peak times of the year (January to February and July to September) it can take us longer. Please apply as early as possible and well in advance of the date you will need registration with a licence to practise.

Once we've received your documents and information, we may ask you for further evidence. We may also refer your application for further advice. We'll let you know if we do this.

Before you can work in the UK, you must be registered with a licence to practise.

Will I need to attend an identity check?

Yes. When we approve your application, we'll invite you to book an identity check at our Manchester or London offices. You must complete an identity check in the UK before your application can be granted. At the identity check we'll take your photograph and inspect your original documents.

You have three months to attend an identity check once your application has been approved.

If you live overseas, please make sure you will be able to come to the UK in time for your identity check.

We cannot extend the time limit for the identity check for any reason.

For more information about this, please see our guidance on identity checks.


I am ready to apply

You have three months to submit your application from when you start it online. If you have not submitted your application after three months, you will have to start a new one.

I already have a GMC Online account

If you already have an account, you can log in to GMC Online and apply via the 'My Registration' section.

I don't have a GMC Online account yet

If you have a GMC reference number, but have never logged into your online account and do not have log in details, you can activate your GMC Online account.

If you don't have a GMC reference number, then you need to set up an account.

If you need any further advice on setting up an account, please contact us.