Welcome to UK practice
Are you new to working as a doctor in the UK?
Entering UK medical practice can be hard for any doctor, regardless of where you’re from or how experienced you are. There can be significant differences in practising medicine in your home country and the UK, and it can be difficult to adapt to working in a new culture.
Our free half day workshops bring doctors together and explore some of the ethical issues that they are likely to encounter. They bring our guidance to life using interactive scenarios. It's also a perfect opportunity to network with other doctors and get answers to any questions you may have.
Who are the workshops for?
The workshops are aimed at doctors who gained their primary medical qualification outside of the UK, from either within or outside of Europe. If you have just passed our PLAB test, or If you are ready to start your career in the UK, and have registered with a licence to practice or are just about to, then it’s is a great time for you to attend one of our workshops.
But if you’ve already started work in the UK it’s not too late, you’ll be in a great position to learn more about our essential guidance and let your fellow doctors know about your experiences so far, and what things you wish you’d know before starting work.
How will the workshop help you?
- You’ll get practical guidance around a series of real-life ethical scenarios. We highlight areas where you’ll encounter differences in the UK; especially around consent, confidentiality, raising concerns, care for children and young people, and prescribing
- You’ll be more confident to make the right choices when facing difficult ethical situations
- You can meet other doctors and find out more about their experiences
- You’ll meet a member of our dedicated liaison service, and have the opportunity to have your questions about UK practice answered by someone with a wealth of experience.
- You’ll take away a pack of our guidance materials that will help you in your day-to-day work.
What should I expect on the day?
Below is what a typical Welcome to UK practice workshop will involve.
- Registration and refreshments
- Welcome and introduction to the GMC and how we can help you
- An introduction to our guidance and learning resources
- ‘Hello my name is…’ – getting to know each other
- What makes a good doctor?
- Things I wish I'd known. Doctors share their experience of starting out in UK practice
- Sponsor presentation
- Break and networking
- Ethical scenarios. What would you do? How can our guidance help you?
Book your place now
Places are limited and fill up quickly, so book yours now. Visit our booking page to take a look at locations and availability, and to book your place.