Applying for sub-specialty recognition
This page is to help doctors who are eligible to apply for their sub-specialty to be added to their entry on the specialist register
If you already hold specialist registration you can apply to have a sub-specialty added to your entry on the Specialist Register.
To be eligible to apply for sub-specialty recognition
- You must hold full registration
- You must be on the specialist register in the parent specialty of your chosen sub-specialty
- You must have undertaken GMC approved training in the sub-specialty which you are applying or demonstrate that your overseas training is equivalent to the standards for the UK curriculum.
See our list of GMC approved specialties and their sub-specialties.
Note for CCT trainees: If you are a CCT trainee and are yet to complete your CCT application, you may be eligible to have your sub-specialty training recognised as part of your application. There is separate guidance available for CCT applications.
Applying for recognition
Before applying, we recommend you read our sub-specialty guidance document. This details the evidence required to support your application. It also provides important information about how to present your evidence to us.
Once you have read our guidance document, and are satisfied that you have the required evidence to support your application, you should contact us to request a sub-specialty recognition application form. Emails should be sent to email@example.com
Please provide the following information in your email:
- Your GMC number
- The name of the sub-specialty you are applying in
- Confirmation that you have completed approved training in the sub-specialty
- Scanned copy of evidence of how you are eligible to apply for sub-specialty recognition, for example a certificate or letter confirming you have completed approved training in the sub-specialty.
Once we receive your request
Your email request will be sent to the Specialist Applications Team, who will process your request within five working days. You will receive an email from us detailing guidance on submitting your application and an application form.
After your application has been received, you will be assigned a Specialist Applications Adviser, who will work with you to prepare your application to be submitted for assessment at the relevant college or faculty. In our experience, applications take between five and six months to process from start to finish.
Please refer to our current fees page for information about the sub-specialty application fee.
If you have any further questions about the sub-specialty recognition process, please contact us.