Charlie Massey – Chief Executive and Registrar
Charlie Massey joined us as Chief Executive and Registrar in November 2016.
His work builds on the key reforms to our services we've delivered over the last few years, including:
- our expanded responsibilities for medical education and training
- language checks for doctors from Europe
- establishing the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service to provide a clear separation between our investigation of complaints and the adjudication of hearings.
‘The GMC’s work is incredibly important,’ says Charlie. ‘The decisions we make impact on thousands of people’s lives every day.’
Charlie leads the Senior Management Team, which is responsible for our day-to-day running. He is accountable to our Council and reports directly to the Chair of Council, Professor Terence Stephenson.
Charlie joins us from his role as Director General at the Department of Health England, which he had held since 2012. Before that, Charlie was Director for Ageing Society and State Pensions at the Department for Work and Pensions. He has also worked in a variety of roles across government and the wider public sector, including:
- Executive Director at the Pensions Regulator, leading the development of a new regulatory strategy to improve the funding of final salary pension schemes
- leading reviews on childcare and drugs in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit
- leading work on Royal Mail and the future of the Post Office network at HM Treasury
To contact Charlie, email firstname.lastname@example.org.