Help for refugees

Who can get help with registration fees?

If you're a refugee doctor who has been granted leave to remain in the United Kingdom, you may be able to get help with your registration fees when applying for registration with a licence to practise.

If you applied for asylum, you may be able to get help with your registration fees if you have been:

  • recognised as a refugee under the 1951 United Nations Convention and granted limited leave (five years)
  • granted exceptional leave to remain (granted prior to 1 April 2003)
  • granted humanitarian protection
  • granted other leave

What help is available?

  • You can have two attempts at part 1 of the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test, free of charge. If you fail the first time, you can re-take the exam one more time, without charge. You can have up to four attempts at part 1 of the test. However, only your first two attempts will be without charge. 
  • You can have up to four attempts at part 2 of the PLAB test. On your first two attempts you will only have to pay half of the fee.  Any further attempts will cost the full amount.
  • You can pay your registration fee in four quarterly payments or ten monthly payments. However, you must pay your PLAB test fee in full when the test is booked.

For full details of our current fees please see our fees page.

Providing evidence of refugee status

To get this help you'll need to send us original documents showing your current immigration status. This may include the letter from UK Visa and Immigration stating the outcome of your asylum application and your ID card. You can only get help if you are in one of the categories set out under the section above. You must tell us if your status changes, for example if you become a British citizen.

Booking a Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test place

To book a part 1 or 2 PLAB test place, please contact our refugee doctor liaison officer on 0161 923 6602 or email

To get help with the fees for part 1 or part 2 of the PLAB test, you'll need to book an appointment and bring your original documents to our reception in London or Manchester. Alternatively, you can post them to us at 350 Euston Road, London NW1 3JN or 3 Hardman Street, Manchester, M3 3AW.

If a refugee charity is paying your fees on your behalf, you'll need to send us an original letter from that charity saying they will cover your costs. You'll also need to send us a cheque from that charity when you book the PLAB test.

Useful website links