Evidence for full registration

Full registration

You need to gather evidence for your full registration, as well as for your specialist or GP application (via Portfolio Pathway). The evidence we ask you to provide to support your application will depend on your circumstances, sometimes we’ll need to ask for additional evidence. If we do, we’ll let you know after we receive your application.

Portfolio with Registration application. It is important to note that your application for full registration with a licence to practise will only be considered if you are successful in the Portfolio Pathway part of this joint application. If you are unsuccessful in the Portfolio Pathway, your application for full registration with a licence to practise will not be considered.

If you are unable to provide the evidence needed to demonstrate your knowledge, skills and experience, it may be worth considering applying for full registration separately in the first instance. This may give you the opportunity to work in the UK in a relevant, non-substantive consultant post and gather evidence to apply for specialist registration in the future.

Evidence for full registration

You need to provide copies of the following documents.

Once you have checked your primary medical qualification meets our acceptability criteria, you’ll need to have it independently verified before we can grant your registration with a licence to practise. Read about what this means for you.

  • Proof of your knowledge of English – if you’re using an IELTS or OET certificate to prove your knowledge of English, it mustn’t expire any sooner than one year from the date you submit your application. Please read our English Language guidance for more information.

Identity checks

You must complete an identity check before we can grant your application.

We will contact you with further details about how to complete one at the appropriate time.

For more information about this, see our guidance on identity checks.

Evidence of your fitness to practise

You’ll need to give details of your registration and licensing for all the medical regulatory authorities of any countries where you:

  • have practised in the last five years
  • held registration or a licence in the last five years.

You’ll need to send us a copy of your Certificate of Good Standing (CGS) or Certificate of Current Professional Status (CCPS) for each authority on your list.

Please read our guidance on evidence of fitness to practise before completing your application. If you don’t give us all the information, we need we’ll be unable to make a decision your application.