Existing specialist certificate

This is for doctors who have a certificate making you eligible for specialist registration and you want to apply to be on the Specialist Register.

Am I eligible to apply?

You can apply if your certificate is from one of these organisations.

  • Specialist Training Authority
  • Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board.

Your certificate also needs to be one of the following.

  • Certificate of completion of specialist training (CCST)
  • Certificate of completion of training (CCT)
  • Certificate of eligibility for specialist registration (CESR).

And your certificate must have been awarded between 12 January 1996 and 31 January 2007.

How do I apply?

If you meet the eligibility criteria to apply, email us equivalence@gmc-uk.org to ask for a CN22 existing certificates application form.

You’ll need to complete and return it to us:

General Medical Council
Specialist Applications team
3 Hardman Street
M3 3AW

What happens after I apply?

Your name will appear on the Specialist Register on the date we grant your application. 

Please check the medical register before you take up a post that requires you to be entered onto the Specialist Register.