Delays to specialist applications

We’re currently processing a large number of applications. Thank you for your patience - we’ll aim to progress your application as quickly as we can.

Use your GMC Online account to make an application and send your evidence – we can’t accept applications or evidence by post at the moment because our offices are closed.

Direct entry onto the Specialist Register


This is for doctors who want to join the Specialist Register.

Brexit and your application

On the 31 December 2020, the Brexit transition period will end. This follows the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union in January 2020. This means that we’ll need to close your application if you have started it on GMC Online but not submitted it by 11pm on 31 December 2020. If you intend to submit an application, you should consider doing so before this time. If you have submitted an application before the deadline, we’ll process it in the usual way.

Am I eligible to apply?

You may be eligible for direct entry onto the Specialist Register if you're a national of an EEA country (or Switzerland), or benefit from enforceable community rights.

You must also have a specialist medical qualification that is acceptable for mutual recognition. 

What is acceptable mutual recognition?

Your specialist qualification must be listed in Annex V of The Directive on Recognition of Professional Qualifications for the country in which you obtained the qualification. The specialty must also have a corresponding entry for the United Kingdom.

How do I apply?

If you meet the eligibility criteria, you should log in to GMC Online and make your application for entry onto the Specialist Register. In most cases we'll ask you for a certificate from the competent authority in the country you qualified. This is to prove your qualification complies with the standards of the Directive.

If you already hold full registration, you don't have to pay a fee to apply for direct entry onto the Specialist Register.

I don’t hold hold full registration

You'll need to make an application for full registration with a licence to practise and entry onto the Specialist Register at the same time.