Your Knowledge of English
Why do you need to check I can communicate in English?
We need to make sure you have the necessary knowledge of English to communicate effectively before we can grant your application. This is so you don't put the safety of your patients at risk. Communicating includes speaking, reading, writing and listening.
For us to accept your IELTS certificate it must show:
- that you took the academic version of the test
- that you got a score of at least 7.0 in each testing area and an overall score of 7.5
- that you got these scores in the same test
- that you got these scores in your most recent sitting of the test
- the original stamp and test report form number.
For us to accept your OET certificate it must show:
- you took the medicine version of the test
- you got at least a grade ‘B’ in each testing area (speaking, listening, reading and writing)
- you got those grades in the same test
- your candidate number
- you obtained the grades in your most recent sitting of the test.
If you are a national of a country where English is the first and native language, and you were awarded your primary medical degree from a country where English is the first and native language the above does not apply to you. Please check our list of countries where English is the first and native country here.