- Declaring your fitness to practise
- Translating documents that aren’t in English
- How do I send my documents?
- What if I also want to apply for specialist or GP registration?
- How much does it cost to apply?
- How long will it take to process my application?
- Coming to an identity check in the UK
- I am ready to apply
You’ll need to give details of your internship.
I completed an internship
My internship was:
- a minimum of 12 months continuous medical practice in an approved training post in a public hospital, and
- undertaken immediately prior or immediately following my graduation
My internship included:
- at least three months in medicine and three months in surgery, and lasted between 12 and 18 months, or
- at least six months in medicine and six months in surgery, and lasted for 18 months or longer.
You'll need to submit a certificate or letter of completion from your institution. This must give details of the dates and specialties of your rotations.
I didn’t complete an internship
Your practice must include a minimum of three months continuous, uninterrupted practice in each of the branches of medicine and surgery.
You cannot be absent for more than 20 days in any 12 month period (in addition to annual leave, which can be up to 5 weeks). All breaks after the first 12 months must be authorised by the employing organisation. Breaks taken for reasons other than the pursuit of medical – related education, training or experience, or contractual maternity/paternity leave will require referral to an Assistant Registrar.
The first 12 months of your practice should otherwise be uninterrupted with a maximum break thereafter of no more than 12 months before returning to medical practice.
Your postgraduate medical practice must be completed under supervision and confirmation of satisfactory completion provided by your supervising consultant(s).
Whether your training/ experience is acceptable will be decided at the point of dealing with an application for registration. The information on this page is subject to change. You are advised to check these pages regularly for up to date information. Any application for full registration will be assessed in line with the legislation, procedures and criteria in place at the time such an application is received.
I completed my internship in the UK
You’ll need to submit a certificate of experience.