What to check
Search the medical register
When you search our medical register you should check the following.
- Does the doctor hold registration?
- Does the doctor hold a licence to practise?
- Does the doctor’s type of registration and their licence to practise allow them to undertake the post you're employing them for?
- Do any conditions, warnings or restrictions apply?
- Does the GMC reference number the doctor has given you match the details shown on our online register?
- Are you sure of the doctor's identity?
- If the doctor wants to work as a GP in the UK health service, are they on the GP Register and the relevant performers list?
- If the doctor is hoping to work as a consultant in the UK health service, are they on the Specialist Register?
Extra checks for employers
You should check that the doctor is proficient in English.
NHS Employers has produced guidance on employment checks, which includes:
Their guidance also includes information about all the other pre-employment checks you should make.
You may want to find out who the doctor’s current responsible officer is. It will help to give them some evidence or feedback for the doctor’s annual whole practice appraisal.
Ongoing administrative checks
This will avoid disrupting your services.
Doctors may be erased from the register for administrative reasons. These are things like:
- not paying their annual retention fee
- not keeping their address up to date.
Doctors who are removed from the register under our administrative procedures but who are required to work should contact us urgently. This is so they can apply to be restored without delay. They must not work until they are restored to the register.
Fitness to practise checks
We will tell you if we're investigating a doctor we know you employ or contract with them.
You should tell us if you're concerned about the fitness to practise of a doctor you employ or contract with.
Other information you need
If you need other information about a doctor's registration or licence to practise which is not public, or you cannot find the doctor on the medical register please email firstname.lastname@example.org.