I am a UK-qualified PA or AA but I am not on the FPA or RCoA voluntary register

When do I need to apply?

When regulation starts. We’ll encourage you to apply as soon as you are able, but you will have a two-year transition period to register with us. If you are not registered by the end of the transition period, you must stop working.

How do I apply?

If you are on the voluntary registers held by the Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA) or the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA), you will be invited to apply via a streamlined process.

We recommend signing up to the register for your profession before regulation starts.

I can't join the FPA voluntary register, I've used up my exam attempts

You are currently allowed four attempts at the Physician Associate National Exam (PANE). If you've already had four fails, you may be eligible to attempt the exam again after regulation starts as part of our transitional arrangements. We will provide more information on this closer to the start of regulation.

If you can't join the voluntary register, there will be an alternative online application process for qualified applicants.

What evidence do I need to provide to apply for registration?

To join our register, you’ll need to show that:

  • you have the knowledge and skills to work safely as a PA or AA in the UK
  • there are no outstanding concerns about your fitness to practise.

To do this, we’ll need to see:


You’ll need to hold a qualification in:

  • Physician Associate studies
  • Physician Assistant studies
  • Anaesthesia Associate studies
  • Physician Assistant (Anaesthesia) studies

awarded by a UK university at the level of a postgraduate diploma or above. We’ll make checks on your qualification.

PAs will also need to pass both parts of the PANE or the PA Registration Assessment (PARA) before applying. We’ll work with the Royal College of Physicians to verify information about your pass.

Employer and regulator references

An employer reference from your most recent PA or AA role. If you’ve registered with another healthcare regulator in the UK or overseas within the last five years, we’ll also ask for evidence of your good standing with them.

Please don’t gather references until we ask you. We’ll send you specific forms to fill in. These need to be signed and dated no earlier than three months before you apply for registration.

Employment history

Your employment history over the last five years. If you’ve had long breaks in your practice, you may be asked for extra evidence to explain the gaps.

Fitness to practise declaration This is to assure us that there are no ongoing or previous concerns about your performance, professionalism or behaviour. It's also an opportunity to share any health concerns which may impact on your ability to work safely. If you need to declare a concern, this doesn’t mean you can’t join the register. We’ll ask for extra information to help us make the appropriate decision about your registration.

Do I need to recertify or have appraisals?

Until regulation starts, you should follow the requirements of your employer. For PAs, this includes guidance issued by the FPA. Once you're registered with us, you’ll be expected to maintain your skills and fitness to practise as a PA or AA. We’ve published our proposed approach to revalidation for when regulation starts. Read more about how this will work.