Registration: I am studying to be a PA or AA in the UK and will qualify after the start of regulation

When do I need to apply?

When regulation starts, you will need to register with us before you can begin practising as a physician associate (PA) or anaesthesia associate (AA). You don’t need to do anything yet.

How do I apply?

We will invite you to apply for registration once you:

  • have your qualification
  • for PAs only, have a pass in both parts of the Physician Associate National Exam (PANE).

We’ll work with your school to pre-populate your application with verified information about your qualification. For PAs, we’ll also work with the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) to add your PANE pass.

What evidence do I need to provide to apply for registration?

To join our register, you’ll need to show that:

  • you have the knowledge and skills to work safely as a PA or AA in the UK
  • there are no outstanding concerns about your fitness to practise.

To do this, we’ll need to see:

Regulator references

If you’ve registered with another healthcare regulator in the UK or overseas within the last five years, we’ll ask for evidence of your good standing with that regulator.

Please don’t gather references until we ask you. We’ll send you specific forms to fill in. These need to be signed and dated no earlier than three months before you apply for registration.

Fitness to practise declaration

This is to assure us that there are no ongoing or previous concerns about your performance, professionalism or behaviour. It's also an opportunity to share any health concerns which may impact on your ability to work safely. If you need to declare a concern, this doesn’t mean you can’t join the register. We’ll ask for extra information to help us make the appropriate decision about your registration.