What are we doing to check other individuals on the medical register?
- As Zholia Alemi managed to revalidate, is revalidation fit for purpose?
- Has there been a complaint to us before about Zholia Alemi?
- What are we doing to check other doctors on the medical register?
- Are we concerned about any other doctors on the register?
- Should doctors being reviewed be concerned?
You have said that a large number of individuals joined the medical register by the same route as Zholia Alemi, what are you doing to check that they are qualified to practise?
We have started an immediate review of all doctors who accessed the register via this route, and who are still licensed to practise in the UK. Initial indications are that there are around 3,000 doctors whose records we will be re-checking to verify their authenticity.
We have written to doctors to let them know that we are carrying out this review and to let them know that they will not have to resubmit paperwork. We already hold copies of doctors’ documents and much of the checks required can be undertaken by GMC staff. We will also work with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates – the organisation which checks health care credentials worldwide – to verify records with the relevant bodies.