2 Getting started with GMC Connect
2.1 Requesting access to GMC Connect
2.2 Logging in after you've got your password
2.3 Requesting access to another school
2.4 Selecting a different school when you log in
3 The Home page
4 Document folders
4.1 About document folders
5 Guidance and forms
6 GMC Connect users details
6.1 Changing your email address
6.2 Changing your email notification preference
7 Your lists of F1 doctors
7.1 Find a doctor on any of your lists
7.2 Export a doctor on any of your lists
7.3 Change a doctor’s expected F1 completion date
7.4 Withdraw a doctor from F1 (remove a doctor from your list)
7.5 See your list of withdrawn doctors
7.6 Find a doctor’s application status
7.7 Export your lists of doctors
8 Your certificates of experience
8.1 Submit a certificate of experience for one or more doctors on your list
8.2 Submit certificates of experience for the next 100 doctors on your list
8.3 See your list of submitted certificates of experience
9 Adding additional users/delegates
10 Removing access to GMC Connect
GMC Connect user guidance for UK registration -managing your F1 doctors
- Medical school administration staff
- Staff at F1 training locations who are responsible for managing F1 doctors and submitting certificates of experience
- GMC Connect is our system for managing the secure transfer of data, both into and out of the GMC. It allows us to share information securely with organisations and individuals.
To access GMC Connect, you need to complete the online request. You will be asked to provide the following information.
- Contact information about you and your organisation.
- Choose ‘UK registration’ from the drop down list (1).
- Add your reason for needing access (2).
- Type the name of the F1 training location (this is the name of your foundation school or deanery area for example HEE Wessex or NHS Education of Scotland) (3)
- A unique username. Your username is not case sensitive. It will be visible to GMC users, so choose something you’re happy for other people to see.
- Please read the acceptable use policy and tick the box to confirm you agree with this.
When you've completed the form click the 'Next' button (it can take a few seconds for all the data to be sent, so only click the button once).
Your request for an account will be sent to our GMC Connect administrators for approval. It can take up to five days for a new user request to be approved. Once your user account has been approved we’ll send you an email with a link to the GMC Connect login page and your password. We’d recommend you save this webpage as an internet favourite.
If you are responsible for submitting certificates of experience for more than one F1 training location, you can request access to additional organisations (see section 2.3 Requesting access to multiple F1 training locations or lists associated with a medical school).
We support a wide variety of internet browsing software. If you have any problems logging in to GMC Connect, or using GMC Connect when you've logged in, please try a different internet browser or contact UK Manager for help.
At the login page:
- enter the username you chose
- enter the password that was in the email we sent to you
- click the login button.
The password we sent you can only be used once. You’ll need to change the password the first time you log in.
If you are responsible for a number of F1 training locations or would like to see lists of students associated with your location medical school, you can request access to them using your existing username.
When we have processed your request or UK11 form we will send you the link to add additional F1 training location.
Once you have received your link from us you can enter your existing User Name and Password and click ‘Login’.
For security you need to, among other things:
- enter contact information about you and the organisation you want to access
- Choose ‘UK registration’ from the drop down list (1)
- Put your reason for needing access (2)
- Add your contact details – you may use the same details you used when you signed up (3)
- Type the name of the F1 training location or medical school (4)
- Tick the box to agree to the acceptable use policy
When you’ve completed the form click the ‘Next’ button (it can take a few seconds for all the data to be sent, so only click the button once).
When you’ve submitted your details, your request for access to another organisation will be sent to the GMC Connect administrators for approval. Once your user account has been approved we’ll send you an email to confirm that.
Once we’ve confirmed we’ve approved your access to an additional organisation, the next time you log in you’ll see a screen where you can click the link to select the organisation you want to view.
- Your home screen will tell you which organisation you are viewing (1).
- You can switch between your organisations by clicking ‘change organisation’ (2).
- You’ll then go back to the ‘select organisation’ screen (above).
When you log in to GMC Connect, you’ll see the home page*.
*You may have multiple groups appear when you first log on, please tick the 'UK registration' user group.
Some hints and tips
When you're in GMC Connect you won't see the usual forward and back buttons you see in your web browser.
You should move around GMC Connect using the menu buttons and any 'Back' buttons you see on the screens.
You will see various links on the screens to help pages and other guidance on our website. You can close these help pages without GMC Connect closing.
Don't click on the cross in the right-hand corner of the GMC Connect window (any window with the title GMC Connect and our logo on). This will close GMC Connect.
When you're finished using GMC Connect, click 'Logout' on the right of the menu bar to exit.
We use document folders to share information with you. We will upload documents here for you to download, and you will upload documents to the folders to share with us. If you're not responsible for sharing data you won’t have any document folders. For example if you only submit certificates of experience for F1 doctors.
We publish useful information and templates in the guidance and forms area. To access the guidance and forms area, click on the guidance and forms menu item.
The first page has a list of folders. Clicking on a folder will take you to a list of documents within that folder.
Click on the view documents link to open the folder.
You are now presented with the document list for the folder you clicked into.
To download a file, click on the document name.
The guidance and forms section is intended for the distribution of GMC published documents, so GMC Connect users can’t upload documents into these folders.
If you want to find out who is responsible for submitting your certificates of experience you can view your current UK11 form. Click on the guidance and forms link then press view documents next to the folder name ‘view the delegates for submitting certificates of experience’. You will then be able to download your latest delegates form.
If you want to make changes, complete a new UK11 form. When you've completed the form click the ‘submit form’ button in the top right-hand corner and follow the instructions on screen. This will email it back to us.
If you need to change your email address, get in touch with your GMC Connect administrator. They will make the change for you. If you are a designated representative and you’re changing your email address because you have a new role, we’ll ask you to confirm your new job title.
You will automatically receive email notifications when a new file is added to one of your document folders, unless you change your notification preference. To turn off email notifications, take the following steps.
- Click on the ‘change my preference’ button.
- Click on the drop down box next to ‘receive email notifications’ (1) and choose ‘no’ (2).
- Click ‘save’ (3).
- You won’t receive any more email notifications.
If you click on the ‘UK F1 Doctors’ menu option you will get extra left hand options.
Incoming F1 Trainees is always the first screen you see when you click ‘UK F1 Doctors’. On this screen you can see any doctors allocated to your F1 training location who don’t hold provisional registration yet and navigate to other screens. This view is useful if you want to check the status of their provisional registration application and see if they have applied.
From here you can go to:
- UK F1 Doctors In Training to see the UK graduates allocated to your F1 training location who will be currently working in F1 posts and have a COE date
- Submit a COE to submit certificates of experience for your F1s
- Doctors Who Completed F1 to see your list of submitted certificate
- Doctors withdrawn from F1 to see your list of withdrawn F1 doctors
You can find any doctor on any list view. On your keyboard, press the ‘Ctrl’ and ‘F’ keys together. You’ll get a ‘find’ box on screen.
This works for the most common web browsers Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox. If you use a different browser, speak to your IT department for support. If they can't resolve the problem, get in touch with your GMC Connect administrator.
Type in the GMC reference number (or last name or first name) of the doctor you want to find (1) and click ‘find next’ (2).
If you search by first name or last name, you’ll need to click the ‘find next’ button until you see the doctor you want to find as there may be more than one with the same first name or last name.
The GMC reference number (or last name or first name) of the doctor you want will be highlighted.
You may wish to export your list of doctors to another system to check against your own data. You can export your list of doctors on the following screens:
- Incoming F1 Trainees
- UK F1 doctors in training
- submit certificates of experience
- doctors who completed F1
- doctors withdrawn from F1
To export from these screens:
- find and click the 'export list' button
- you'll get a new box with a table in it
- press the 'Ctrl' and 'A' keys together on your keyboard, to highlight the whole table.
Copy and paste the selection into another software package using 'Ctrl' and 'C', then 'Ctrl' and 'V'.
This works for the most common web browsers Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox. If you use a different browser you should speak to your IT department for support. If this doesn’t resolve the problem, get in touch with your GMC Connect administrator.
Find the doctor by following the instructions in 7.1 Find a doctor on any of your lists above.Click on the ‘change’ link in the change F1 comp. Date column next to a doctor in your list.
You’ll be presented with the 'change expected' F1 complete date screen. Add the new date in the new expected F1 completion date field. Select a reason from the 'change reason' field.
You’ll be presented with a confirmation page. When you return to the UK F1 'doctors in training' page, the doctor will have moved up or down the list according to their new date. The earliest dates are at the top.
If you know there’s a doctor on your list who has withdrawn from F1, you can remove them by declining responsibility. Click on ‘UK F1 doctors’ then ‘UK F1 doctors in training'.
Find the doctor by following the instructions in 7.1 Find the doctor by following the instructions in 7.1 Find a doctor on any of your lists above.
Click on the ‘withdraw’ link in the withdraw from F1 column next to a doctor in your list.
Choose a withdrawal reason from the drop down list. Then click the ‘submit’ button.
You’ll get a confirmation that the doctor has been removed from your list. Click the ‘back’ button to return to your list of doctors.
Click on ‘UK F1 Doctors’ then ‘doctors withdrawn from F1’. You’ll see a screen that shows you a list of the doctors you’ve withdrawn from F1 and the reason for each withdrawal.
If you haven’t yet submitted a certificate of experience you can find out their GMC application status on the UK F1 doctors in training page (1). If you have submitted a certificate of experience for a doctor, you can find out their GMC application status on the doctors who completed F1 page (2).
Below is the list of application statuses and their meanings.
- Pending invitation - The doctor hasn’t yet been invited to apply for full registration.
- Awaiting application - The doctor has been invited to apply for full registration.
- Application submitted - The doctor has submitted their full registration application.
- Full registration granted - The doctor has been granted full registration (in most cases the registration will be visible on the online register the day after the F1 completion date).
When you click on ‘submit certificates of experience’ you will get a list of doctors who are currently within 28 days of their expected F1 completion date. These are the only doctors you can submit certificates for.
Select one or more doctors to submit a certificate of experience for by ticking the ‘select’ box to the left of each doctor (1).
Then click the ‘submit’ button (2).
You’ll be presented with the statement of truth (1), and the list of doctors you are making submissions for.
If you’ve made a mistake and there’s a doctor listed that you don’t want to submit a certificate of experience for, click the ‘remove’ (3) link to take them off your submission list. If you want to cancel the submission altogether press ‘cancel’ (4). When you’re happy the list is correct click the ‘submit’ (5) button.
Click the 'back' button to return to your list of doctors.
8.2 Submit certificates of experience for 100 doctors on your list
If you are in a position where you have verified your list and it is up to date, you can quickly submit certificates of experience for 100 doctors on your list. Go to the 'submit certificates of experience' section.
Make sure that all of the select boxes are unticked (1).
Then click the ‘select 100 doctors’ button (2). This will select the top 100 doctors on the list, you should check them carefully and deselect any doctors that aren’t yet due to complete F1, then click next. You should only use this function if you have verified your list and it is accurate and up to date.
You’ll be presented with the statement of truth (1), and the list of doctors you are making submissions for. The top 100 doctors from the submit certificates of experience list will display on the screen. If there are less than 100 then they will all display.
If you’ve made a mistake and there’s a doctor listed that you don’t want to submit a certificate of experience for, click the ‘remove’ (3) link to take them off your submission list. If you want to cancel the submission altogether press ‘cancel’ (4).
When you’re happy the list is correct click the ‘submit’ (5) button.
You’ll see a confirmation of the doctors you’ve submitted certificates of experience for.
If you click on ‘doctors who completed F1’ you’ll see a screen that shows you a list of the doctors you’ve submitted certificates of experience for and their GMC application status.
Click on the ‘export list’ button (2) if you want to export the list to another system.
To add a new user to your organisation you’ll need to complete the following steps.
- Provide the UK Manager with a list of names and email addresses for the additional users using form UK11 form.
- When you've completed the form click the ‘submit form’ button in the top right-hand corner and follow the instructions on screen. This will email it back to us.
- They will then be emailed a signup link.
- The GMC Connect administrator will verify the requests submitted against the list you provide and grant access.
Once we’ve approved your account you’ll receive and automated password email and additional information about your GMC Connect account.
If a member of staff who has access to GMC Connect leaves your organisation you must email us immediately (UKManager@gmc-uk.org) with the user’s details so that we can remove their GMC Connect access.