GMC Logo Search the register GMC Online
  1. Home
  2. Ethical guidance
  3. Learning materials
  4. Raising a concern with a regulator

This page is part of the learning materials to support our Raising and acting on concerns decision tool

Back to the Raising and acting on concerns decision tool  - Can you escalate your concern to a regulator or other external body with responsibility to act or intervene? 

Raising a concern with a regulator

When should a regulator be contacted?

You should contact one of the regulatory bodies below or another body with authority to investigate your concern in the following circumstances:

  • If you cannot raise the issue with the responsible person or body locally because you believe them to be part of the problem.

  • If you have raised your concern through local channels but are not satisfied that the responsible person or body has taken adequate action.

  • If there is an immediate serious risk to patients, and a regulator or other external body has responsibility to act or intervene.
Health professions regulators Who do they cover?
General Chiropractic Council Chiropractors
General Dental Council Dentists, dental nurses, dental technicians, dental hygienists, dental therapists and orthodontic therapists
General Medical Council Doctors
General Optical Council Optometrists, dispensing opticians, student opticians and optical businesses
General Osteopathic Council Osteopaths
General Pharmaceutical Council Pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises in England, Scotland and Wales
Health Professions Council 15 separate healthcare professions including podiatrists, physiotherapists and others
Nursing and Midwifery Council Nurses and midwives
Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland Pharmacists in Northern Ireland

Other regulatory and investigatory bodies Who do they cover?
Care Quality Commission Health and social care services in England
Monitor NHS foundation trusts
NHS Commissioning Board Special Health Authority Patient safety in England and Wales

Northern Ireland Who do they cover?
Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority in Northern Ireland Health and social care services in Northern Ireland

Scotland Who do they cover?
The Care Inspectorate Social care and social work services in Scotland
Healthcare Improvement Scotland Healthcare services in Scotland
Implementing & Reviewing Whistleblowing Arrangements in NHS Scotland PIN (Partnership Information Network) Policy Healthcare services in Scotland

Wales Who do they cover?
Healthcare Inspectorate Wales Healthcare services in Wales

Advice and help What do they cover?
Public Concern at Work Provides free, confidential legal advice
NHS Whistleblowing Helpline 08000 724 725 Offering confidential and independent advice.
The GMC Confidential Helpline 0161 923 6399 Offering confidential advice