Leadership and management for all doctors
Duties of a doctor in the workplace
Doctors make an important contribution to the management and leadership of health services and the delivery of healthcare across the UK as part of a multidisciplinary team. All doctors have some responsibilities for using resources; many will also lead teams or be involved in supervising colleagues.
The primary duty of all doctors is for the care and safety of patients. Whatever their role, doctors must do the following.
- Engage with colleagues2 to maintain and improve the safety and quality of patient care.
- Contribute to discussions and decisions about improving the quality of services and outcomes.
- Raise and act on concerns about patient safety.
- Demonstrate effective team working and leadership.
- Promote a working environment free from unfair discrimination, bullying and harassment, bearing in mind that colleagues and patients come from diverse backgrounds.
- Contribute to teaching and training doctors and other healthcare professionals, including by acting as a positive role model.
- Use resources efficiently for the benefit of patients and the public.
Those you work with, including managers of services, whether or not they are also doctors.