- The Department of Health (England) ask the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board (PMETB) to explore the concept of credentialing.
- PMETB and GMC merger.
- GMC launch credentialing pilot study.
- The study shows the feasibility of developing credentialing using different methodologies based around an individual's knowledge, skills and performance.
- View the final reports of the credentialing pilot study
- The GMC's Council agree in principle that a regulatory framework for credentialing should be established, and further development work is taken forward by the Credentialing Working Group.
- View the final report of the Credentialing Working Group
- Professor Sir David Greenaway's 2013 report, Shape of Training: Securing the future of excellent patient care, includes credentialing as part of the recommended future architecture of specialist and general practice (GP) training.
- With a slightly different focus, the supports credentialing as one of the ways of improving standards and regulation in cosmetic surgery.
- GMC runs framework consultation on the broad principles and processes for our credentialing model.
- 69% of 217 responses agree with our reasons for introducing credentials and just 16% disagree. Some respondents are concerned about how our framework will be implemented and how credentialing will work in practice.
- View the consultation document
- View the outcomes of the consultation
- GMC Council discuss and agree that we will work with a small number of early adopters to evaluate and test the cost effectiveness and efficacy of our credentialing model during 2016-17.
- GMC consults on new curriculum standards and whether they should apply to credentials
- the Shape implementation report was published in 2017 which contains recommendations around credentialing
- the GMC flexibility review – which also has recommendations about credentialing was published
- GMC GMC began re-scoping the project to make sure credentialing aligned with these developments.
- GMC developed a draft framework and from September 2018 began engagement to gain feedback on the proposals.
- The draft framework and approach to engagement was considered by Council in November.