We are introducing a framework for GMC-regulated credentials for doctors. GMC-regulated credentials will be focused in discrete areas of practice where consistent clinical standards recognised across the UK are necessary to support better and safer patient care.
GMC-regulated credentials will be considered for approval:
- in unregulated areas of practice where there may be significant patient safety risks
- where the capacity to train doctors is insufficient to meet patient or service needs.
A framework for GMC-regulated credentials
A phased introduction
In June 2019, the GMC Council approved the framework for GMC-regulated credentials along with proposals for a phased introduction by working with the five early adopters listed below.
- Cosmetic Surgery led by the Royal College of Surgeons
- Interventional Neuroradiology (Acute Stroke) led by the Royal College of Radiologists
- Liaison Psychiatry led by the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Pain Medicine led by the Faculty of Pain Medicine
- Remote and Rural led by NHS Education Scotland
Task and finish groups were established for each of the early adopters to help us evaluate and improve our processes, which will feed into a review of the early adopter phase.
We aim to provide a report on the early adopter phase with an updated framework to GMC Council later this year.
If you have any questions please contact us email@example.com.