I don't have a designated body

This page is for doctors who don't have a designated body.

If you are a licensed doctor without a connection to a designated body, you still need to revalidate. This page tells you what you need to do.

1. Should I give up my licence?

If you are not offering medical services in the UK, don't need a licence for the work you do, or practise overseas, then you probably don't need a licence and might want to give it up.

If you do this, you won't have to take part in revalidation, but will remain on our register so you can show you are in good standing with us.

There are other things you need to consider before you decide to give up your licence, which you can find in our guidance.

While there is a fee for applying to give up your licence, you will receive a refund of any unused portion of the annual retention fee (ARF) you have paid, and you will also pay a reduced ARF from the date your application is granted.

Please see our fees page for our current fees.

2. How do I tell you I don't have a designated body?

If you don't have a connection to a designated body you need to tell us.

  • Log into your GMC Online account
  • In the left-hand menu, click on 'My Revalidation' and follow the instructions to tell us you don't have a designated body

If you don't a GMC Online account, you can set one up.

3. Can I find a Suitable Person instead?

A Suitable Person is a licensed doctor who we have approved to make revalidation recommendations about your fitness to practise.

Is there anyone who could support you with your revalidation and make a recommendation about you?

This might be, for example:

  • the person who has responsibility for clinical governance and appraisal in your organisation
  • the Responsible Officer of a designated body that you work or, but don't have a prescribed connection to.

Read more about finding a Suitable Person.

4. I can't find a Suitable Person but need a licence

If you can't find a Suitable Person but need to keep your licence, you will still have to revalidate. Please see our information for doctors who cannot find a Suitable Person.