Medical register help
These page are to help you use the medical register. If you click on a link in the medical register, it will take you to the most relevant information within these pages. Use the menu to jump to different topics.
In this section you can read general information about the medical register:
- What is on the medical register
- How to get a doctor's GMC reference number
- The oldest information on the medical register
- How to contact us
What is on the medical register?
Information available about doctors on the medical register
The medical register gives the following information for each doctor.
- A history of the doctor's status on the register from 20 October 2005 onwards onwards (the date that the register went online).
- Any suspensions, conditions or undertakings placed on the doctor's registration on or after 20 October 2005 which are still active.
- Any historical suspensions, conditions or undertakings which were in place on the doctor’s registration on or after 20 October 2005, and any finding of impairment made against the doctor, if they are still subject to publication under our Publication and Disclosure policy.
- Any warnings still subject to publication. Warnings issued on or after 26 February 2018 are published for two years. Warnings issued before this date are published for five years.
- Any GMC or MPTS hearings that relate to any suspensions, conditions or undertakings that were in place on the doctor's registration on or after 20 October 2005, and which are still subject to publication under our Publication and disclosure policy. Further information can be found in determinations (known as ‘minutes’ where they were uploaded before 29 May 2015) (opens in a new window).
- Whether a hearing date has been set.
But please also see Information not available about doctors on the medical register.
Information not available about doctors on the medical register
The List of Registered Medical Practitioners does not give fitness to practise information that expired before 20 October 2005 (the date that the register went online).
- details of suspensions, conditions or undertakings that expired before 20 October 2005
- if a doctor was erased from the register before 20 October 2005 and has not restored, their details will not be available online
- Ii a doctor was erased from the register before 20 October 2005, but restored to the register after this date, the reasons for their erasure will not be available online.
To request further information about these details, please contact us. However, please be aware that disclosure of this information is subject to time limits and we may not be able to provide you with any further information. The time limits are set out in our Publication and disclosure policy.
Additionally, the medical register does not provide the following:
- Information on any fitness to practise erasure which took place more than ten years ago, unless the doctor has been restored to the register, in which case information about their previous erasure will be republished.
- Information about any finding of impairment, suspension, conditions or undertakings which are no longer active and which are no longer subject to publication under our Publication and disclosure policy.
- Conditions or undertakings that are solely concerned with a doctor's health. These are confidential.
- Actions taken against a doctor by other organisations, such as an employer. For example, a doctor may be suspended from their job by a hospital during a local investigation. That suspension does not affect the doctor's registration or licence to practise so it is not available here.
- Suspensions or conditions imposed by an Interim Orders Tribunal which are no longer active, unless a doctor has taken voluntary erasure or is administratively erased from the register while an interim order was in force, in which case the interim order will be published for one year from the date of erasure. You can contact us to request details of interim orders that were in place on a doctor’s registration, but we will only disclose this information if a substantive sanction related to the interim order is still being published. We will not disclose any suspensions or conditions imposed by an Interim Orders Tribunal where the case is subsequently closed with no impairment or no warning.
- Warnings over two years old if they were issued on or after 26 February 2018, and warnings over five years old if they were issued before that date.