Working with doctors Working for patients

Medico-legal support

In the performance of all your professional duties, you should abide by the principles of good medical practice set out in Good medical practice.

What is medico-legal advice and assistance – do I need it?

NHS and HSC indemnity schemes only provide indemnity to NHS/HSC bodies for clinical negligence claims. They won’t give you individual advice and assistance for other medico-legal matters that arise from your clinical practice, such as criminal or disciplinary investigations. And they won’t give you individual advice or assistance if we’re asked to investigate your fitness to practise.

Some organisations offer this kind of support. You may find it helpful to arrange medico-legal support to cover you in case you’re involved in an inquest where your trust is unable to support you, or an inquiry or if a complaint is made about you, especially if it is investigated further.