Duplicate certificates

This page is for doctors who need a duplicate certificate, verification of their certificate or confirmation of their UK training.

The GMC has been responsible for issuing Specialist and GP certificates since April 2010. This function was previously carried out by several different bodies:

Organisation Period
Specialist Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges (STA) Between January 1996 and September 2005 (for specialists)
The Joint Committee on Postgraduate Training for General Practice (JCPTGP) Before September 2005 (for GPs)
Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board (PMETB) Between September 2005 and March 2010
The General Medical Council (GMC) From April 2010

If you have lost a certificate, or if you have been asked to have a certificate issued by one of these bodies verified by the GMC, we can help with this.

Read our guidance on how to request a duplicate certificate.

Read our guidance on how to request verification of your certificate.

The Directive on Recognition of Professional Qualifications (the Directive)

If an overseas medical regulator has asked for confirmation of your specialist or GP training, or confirmation that you have an acquired right to practise in the UK, we can also help with this. You may have been asked to show that your training or qualification meets Article 23, Article 30 or Article 50 of the Directive.

Read our guidance on articles of the Directive.

You can read more about the Directive in our guidance on European legislation.